Sunday 19 February 2012

Tufted Duck

Today we popped along to Ainsdale beach in Southport.

I went originally in the hope to spot the odd wader, but even though the sun was out it was just too cold in the wind.

Next to Ainsdale beach is a small lake which gets really busy with ducks, geese and your usual gulls.

Having looked around I decided to concentrate on the Tufted ducks, which in my opinion are stunning to look at and as they generally come in close, they are great to photograph too.

Heres the shots I got, you can click an image and go through the lightbox to see them all large.

The first set of images are males.




and secondly females.


and finally the rest of the images I took, Please click to view larger.


And finally who can resist a Mute Swan looking really chilled out.
All photos taken with Nikon D70 + Sigma 170-500mm

I hope you liked the pics.

Until next time.

Mike.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful images, the Tufted Ducks know when they are ready to pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great set Mike.
    They seem very shy here, and always swim off lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great. The Tufted Duck is very pretty....I like the female's colors. Lovely swan shot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, very much appreciated. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you got magnificent portraits and pictures! Well done Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike. Classic shots of the Tufties. I managed a close head on with a Mute recently ... http://fabirding.blogspot.com/2012/02/head-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking set Mike,fantastic details.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mike,

    Your photos are amazing. I feel as though I am right there. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mike,

    Been ages since I had a look on this blog, just got out of the habit of blogging over the last year or so- sorry about that :D Anyway, great photos of the tufted ducks, they're really sharp. Brilliant photo of the swan at the end as well :)

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, MIKE.