Sunday 13 October 2013

New Camera

I finally had to invest in a new camera, my old D70 kept playing up and for a while I lost faith in taking photos because I could never be sure that when I got home the images would be there to transfer.

I picked up a Nikon D3200, as much as I would have liked to spend thousands on the very best camera I just don't have the budget and to be honest this packs in quiet a bit for the price.

My only issue so far is that it doesnt have an internal auto focus motor so for my big 500mm lense I will have to attempt manual focus or try and just keep this with my D70 and hope for the best.

Here is a test shot I tried, shutter 1/60 so should improve in better light, unfortunately no birds at all around so found some buds around 7 mtrs away to try and focus on. Years of digiscoping have served me well :)

Photo taken with Nikon D3200 with Sigma 170-500mm manually focused

I am trying to get more into the landscape photography and macro so I think the D3200 will be great.

This is my first sample shot testing it with my macro adapter at x10 magnification.

Photo taken with Nikon D3200 + Nikkor 18-55mm VR + x10 macro adaptor

I think it produces a nice sharp image and the colour looks nice considering it is really dull at the moment.

I'm now waiting for some decent light to see if manual focusing will be practical and if not I will see what can be done with the D70.

For now tho I think most of the image I will be posting will be landscape and macro which I am starting to really enjoy.

Let me know your thoughts on the photo and manual focusing.

Cheers, Mike.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting something! We've missed you. I'm not one to offer any camera advice since I just use autofocus on everything and hope for the best :-) But these look fine to me. I will look forward to seeing what you come up with. I got a new camera this year (a Canon SX50HS) and am still trying to get comfortable with it. I can't seem to figure out how to get it set for close-up shots at all, but it does better from a distance on close things than my old camera, so I don't really have to zoom in for a close cropped shot. It is just a bunch different and more confusing, but sure has a wonderful zoom for an inexpensive camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary, Setting on the new camera are very similar to the old one so Im ok as far as that goes, bit annoyed with myself for not looking at the inbuilt autofocus motor, but not the end of the world, plus they are out of the price bracket anyway, just need some inspiration now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike I just stumbled on to your site and think the photos are fantastic. I too have the exact same setup you have though my passion is motorsport, my trusty D70 brings errors up now and then and I lose the shot..I decided this morning it was time to buy the D3200, as your luck and mine to i didnt check for AF Motor for the Sigma lens (Just presuming it was featured). However am very smitten with the camera, only owned it a few hours and love the effects it can produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Russ,

      Thanks for your comment, I think my D70 has finally given up and just displays [for], but formatting the memory card doesnt make a difference. I'm toying with the idea of getting it fixed and just keeping it attached to the bigma lense. The D3200 is a great camera and I will be adding a 70-300mm to it soon, but I agree so far very happy with it.
      Cheers, Mike.

      Delete

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, MIKE.